Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas in Bloom

So just as the snow began to fly I decided to take a "my first fusible applique" class. I had waitied til the last minute to register - because I wanted to make sure the weather would be okay - as this class was out of town. The forecast looked good - and of course - it was wrong. It got cold. And foggy. And loads of snow started to fly.

The upside is that the Rumpledquiltskins shop is a classic heritage building and when winter comes it is decorated with lights, and festive tins, and boxes. Seasonal quilts and boughs and tiny lit Christmas cottages abound. Add to that - festive fabrics, threads, patterns, books and ohhhh! The wall of quilty gifts of goodness!

But back to the class... the store has a "class runs no matter what" policy so even though there was only 2 of us - we got the full benfit of the instructor. Almost like 1:1 which is great because I can be  v e r y  s l o w on the uptake (especially after a full day of work).







Having said that - the pattern I chose for my first fusible project is called "Frolic". It's part of a group of patterns by Jane Spolar of Quilt Poetry. Because I wanted to be working on something that was in keeping with the winter festive season I decided to choose some lovely fabrics (some from my stash) that had some metallics and Christmas ornamental themes.


Using a lightbox (add to wishlist) I traced the reverse image of the pattern onto some Wonder-Under fusible web (need more of that). I then cut out the pattern pieces and ironed them on to the wrong side of the various fabrics. I then cut out the pieces on the marker lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment